0

My testimony

Posted by Derrick on 21:37
Yesterday, I was leading church as our pastor was away. I was wondering what to say at the beginning and I thought that I would share my testimony. I think that is what God wanted me to do; so I did.

I had, surprisingly, never shared my whole testimony in church. I don't know why, maybe it is because up until this year, I haven't been in a church like this one. Anyway, never mind, I shall share it here.

I was not brought up in a Christian household. I don't mean to say that my family were atheist or pagans but church (or chapel of course, we are Welsh after all) were not a part of my life.

Looking back, God was always there. I remember a mission coming to the local URC and really liking what they were doing. They had a song that went to the theme tune of MOTD. what's not to like! I also had some friends who were in the Salvation Army and I went to one of their big meetings once, really felt like I wanted to commit but it never panned out.

It wasn't really until uni that I became interested in church. A friend invited me along to the local Anglican church and I was hooked. It was a lively, entertaining, loving church (I recommend it to you if you are ever in Aberystwyth; have a look at their website http://stmikes.org.uk/) and I wanted to learn more. I did two Alpha courses (free food!) and eventually became convinced in my head that all this stuff I had learned about Jesus and the church was correct. On the 17th of February in 1998, a dear friend of mine told me that I needed to make a choice. I needed to decide if I wanted to commit to a life following Jesus. I said yes and that was the best day of my life.

I spent some time serving the Lord (and visitors) to Israel in 1999 after I failed to get a teaching job. Later that year, I got my first job in London and moved to the South East. I met someone and we got married. It didn't last long and she left me for someone else. During the marriage, I had fallen away for a while but I went back to church after she left and that was undoubtedly the best thing to do.

I was in a difficult state but I again found a lovely church to visit and I found some Godly people there to help me through it. I was given the opportunity to go to Spring Harvest and I thought that this would get me right with God. However, on the first night there, it just wasn't making sense. I excused myself from the big top and went for a walk on the beach to see if God was really there. Well, it didn't seem like he was.

I went back into Butlins and went to the loo. There I slammed my Bible down on the side and a piece of paper popped out. On it was a Bible verse. Psalm 34:8. I thought that I would indeed taste and see and boy was the Lord good.

Later in the week at Spring Harvest, during a tough session, I finally got to terms with everything. I forgave myself and others for what had happened and felt the Holy Spirit come and comfort me. It was a real change and it made all the difference..

Since that day, I can say with all my heart that I have never doubted God's existence or love for me. I am not perfect, I am far from it, but I am getting there through the Grace that flows so abundantly from the God who has been in my life for far longer than I noticed!


0 Comments

Post a Comment

Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Free Blogger Templates created by The Blog Templates