0

The conversion of Saul

Posted by Derrick on 12:54
Saul's conversion is a strange phenomenon. He is converted once and yet it is in Acts three times. It is part of the pivotal point of the book of Acts, chapters 9, 10 and 11 are of paramount importance in the history of the church. Saul is converted, Peter falls asleep and has a dream and the Holy Spirit comes at the house of Cornelius.

Pentecost is the birth of the church according to tradition but I would argue that this is not the case. Up until the conversion of Saul and Cornelius I think that the believers thought of themselves as Jews and Jews only. There is nothing wrong with this, I think that being Jewish is wonderful and I wish I were Jewish. However, following on from this point in the story it is all about the growth of the number of gentile believers.

Another interesting part about the experience is that we see much more of Ananias' struggle with God about whether or not to go to Saul than we do the conversion. Life, as a Christian, is not about the conversion moment; it's about what happens after. That is something I think is rather scary.

Yes I know that the deathbed conversion is ok and there isn't much to be done after that but I was converted at University and I am beginning to wonder what it is that I should be doing. Or more accurately, what should I not be doing?

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Free Blogger Templates created by The Blog Templates