0

Housegroup tonight - what makes a good king?

Posted by Derrick on 15:24
I have had a very busy day adding posts to a blog I have set up for work. It is looking really good I think and I am enjoying it. Having some spare time on my hands I thought I would share some more musings.

As I am writing this, I am thinking of Hezekiah the king. What makes a good king? I loved the idea of the New Monarchy when I was a student and the ideas that the relationship between King and Subject was a lot more complex than most people think was an intriguing one.

It works like this. The King would make promises and his subjects would make some as well. The King would promise to Lead his people, to Legislate for his people and to Love his people. The People would agree to Follow the King, to follow the law and to fight for their king. I think that sometimes, as we call Jesus/God our king, we forget what it means.

Hastily ducking the sharpened chunks of scripture that some will try and throw at me, I want to point out that there is nothing that says God has to make these promises (nothing He does is dependent on us, I am not that liberal in my theology).

God does though. He promises to lead us. He lead the Israelites in the desert and He will lead us. He has certainly legislated. His law is not the proscriptive thing that many people think it is. It is, instead, better to view it as guidelines to protect us from what will hurt us (mainly ourselves to be honest!). This Law is well known and well attested. It is also certain that He has loved us. John 3:16 sums it up better than anything I could do.

And what do we do? Do we stand and fight for our leader? Is he the head of our army, leading us on into battle? I don't think many in the church see it this way. As to following the law. Ha! I wish I could but then if we could Christ would not have had to come. Do we follow where He leads? I try to but sometimes I cannot see him and I start to freak out.

This has made me think that I should do a little more writing, I shall look into it and see if I can find some examples of the perfect King...

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Free Blogger Templates created by The Blog Templates