0

What I'm learning from daily Bible Readings

Posted by Derrick on 13:59

There seem to be three thoughts that are coming up again and again during my daily readings.

1: the Old Testament really does contain some harsh but beautiful passages. Psalms is growing on me again (not since I was reading to the kids in their mummy's tummy have I enjoyed psalms so much) but 1 and 2 Kings were hard work. That said, it has increased my understanding of God's frustration and also his patience with us.

2: the Old Testament really does foreshadow Jesus. Everywhere I look in it Jesus stands out from the pages. Not profound in itself, I like this point because it brings reassurance that everything is going to be ok. It means the Old Testament doesn't have to and cannot be discarded or disregarded. It isn't the story of a Monster, it's the story of love that will overcome the greatest of monsters.

3: familiarity does not breed contempt. Many of the passages I'm reading are familiar but there's always something new. Something exciting. Sometimes there's also something old that God reminds me of, something that made me smile or fall to my knees in the past. God really is good and amazing.

I didn't think I'd do it. I didn't think I'd get this far but here I am. Nearly 200 days in to reading the Bible in a year and I've not missed on. Even though I'm fairly familiar with what's coming up, I don't want to miss a day either. Can't wait to finish this year's reading and start again on January 1st.


0 Comments

Post a Comment

Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Free Blogger Templates created by The Blog Templates