0

Nice to see a bit of balance in the world eh

Posted by Derrick on 12:51
I was skimming through the pages of the National Secular Society's website today as I often do (it's a great way to entertain oneself, they really are a silly bunch of people at times) and I came across this piece.

The Rev Richard Barron wants to find ‘new ways for people to connect with the church’. So he is parking himself every Friday afternoon at McDonald’s burger restaurant in Greenhithe, Kent.
He said: ‘As far as I know, I am the first vicar to hold sessions in McDonald’s. There are lots of schoolchildren about and they ask the big questions that maybe adults shy away from, such as does God exist?’
Boss of McDonald’s in Greenhithe, Maxine Hunt said she was supportive of the move adding: ‘It is a nice little relationship and it works well on both sides.’

And the reaction of the NSS was?

Terry Sanderson, President of the National Secular Society, said: “Why on earth McDonald’s ever thought it would be appropriate to allow an evangelist to foist his religion onto its customers while they ate their burgers, I don’t know. But at least customers at McDonald’s have a choice. If they don’t like it, they can get their burgers religion-free elsewhere. Unlike children in our schools who are captive and have to participate in religion whether they want to or not.

Now I do not know why they bothered to link this to their campaign to end religious education in schools but  am very impressed to see that they did. I imagine that Mr Sanderson (rent-a-quote willhire him out to comment on all of your religious articles, just write to them) had little flecks of spittle on the corners of his mouth at the thought of someone exercising their right to freedom of thought and religion.

Foisting of religion on someone? That's ridiculous, such hyperbole needs to be reined in there I think. I for one am pleased that he is doing this. The Good News needs to be spread and they need to reach out to the people in their parish. I know the area well and I wish him all the best. In fact, I think I shall visit McDonalds in Greenhithe this Friday afternoon. Big Mac and fries please!

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Free Blogger Templates created by The Blog Templates