0

Remembrance Sunday

Posted by Derrick on 14:13
Yesterday was Remembrance Sunday. It has long been one of my favourite days of the year. Even before I knew Jesus I was able to go somewhere and feel something spiritual. It is one of my thin places.

About a month ago, I realised (or rather was reminded by God) that, as we had moved to the Library in town, we would be a lot closer to the service this year. I pointed out to the other leaders that we would need to consider what we were doing that service. Either we would need to have it at a different time or we would have to interact with the community.

Thankfully, we did the latter. We decided that we would give out tea and coffee. If you know anything about the highlands then you know how cold it could be in November. Yesterday was cold and rainy.

Giving out tea and coffee doesn't seem much but it was. It was nice to be serving. Serving the community and serving the lord. There were no major conversations about Jesus and no dramatic conversions but it wasn't about that. It was about showing our congregation that we could do it as serving. Being bold for the Lord is tough at times.

We had a truncated service after that. A short time of worship followed by a short talk. I wasn't really in the mood if I am honest as I have had a little bit of bad news in the last few days. As we were worshiping, I was thinking that Jesus was my hope. Then the pastor began to preach and the verse he wanted to preach on was 1 Peter 3:15.

Christ is our hope. He is our hope in times of trouble. He was the hope for countless soldiers who gave their all for their families and their country. He is the hope of the sick and the lonely and he is the hope of the good and the bad.

Every Sunday should be a day of remembrance. Remembrance of the fact that Christ Jesus came to earth and died on a cross in our place; giving us the rarest of gifts, eternal life and eternal hope.

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Free Blogger Templates created by The Blog Templates