0

Philippians 4:10-20

Posted by Derrick on 08:02
Philippians 4:10-20
Thanks for Their Gifts
I rejoiced greatly in the Lord that at last you renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you were concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. Moreover, as you Philippians know, in the early days of your acquaintance with the gospel, when I set out from Macedonia, not one church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you only; for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid more than once when I was in need. Not that I desire your gifts; what I desire is that more be credited to your account. I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.
To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

It's been a couple of days. Lovely days but I need to stay focussed.

This is a nice little passage. All too easy to see it in one of two ways. Either it can almost be dismissed as Paul starting to end his letter and say goodbye. Or it is about giving/being happy with your lot.

I don't feel it is either. I think this is more about seeing even more of Jesus on these pages. Paul is prepared. He is happy and he is content. He knows that his time is limited and he's ready to meet Jesus face to face.

What it reminds me of slightly is that wonderful poem The Soldier by Rupert Brooke. That poem is one I've taught in classes for years and there's always one question - is the author scared of dying and if not, does he want to die? Of course he doesn't want to die. He loves life and here we see Paul is the same.

Sadly, the lens through which we see the poem is clouded by what appears to be the futility of the sacrifice of the poet. He died in vain in a dusty corner of a forgotten front in a brutal war. What was the point?

There is a section of society which would say that Paul shouldn't be willing to die for his beliefs. They're wrong. Paul shines out from this passage. He is ready and he is content. Despite being in prison, he's free! He is as free as a man can get and he is free in Christ. This is glorious and to God our father there really should be glory for ever and ever.

Amen

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Free Blogger Templates created by The Blog Templates