0

Parable Number 1

Posted by Derrick on 08:35
I have had a good time over the last couple of days, finding, marking and highlighting all of the parables in Matthew. Such a good time that I decided on doing those in Mark and Luke too. There are loads fo them and I am looking forward to thinking about them and praying through them. I did the first yesterday and I was surprised. I didn't really think that there were parables in the Sermon on the Mount but there it is, Matthew 5:14-15.
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
I enjoyed reading this and although it is short, I saw something new. Something that I have not seen in it before. Yes it is about being a witness for the faith and showing the hope that we have but I found myself drawn to the second part. If, as I often do, we imagine that the person carrying out the action in the sentence is God, then he is lighting us as lamps. We have a definite function and we need to be aware of this. Perhaps this function is based in a particular location or within a particular group of people but it is a function nonetheless. Being a witness isn't something that we just do, it is something that we do for a purpose. That purpose is mission and that mission is to share God with others, put yourselfs out there to show people what God is like says Jesus. The Message puts it so wonderfull when it says
“14-16 “Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.
The issue for me, and something that I need to think about is, which particular hilltop (rather appropriate given my current setting!) has God put me on?

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Free Blogger Templates created by The Blog Templates