0

Harry Potter and the ...

Posted by Derrick on 12:14
Something that has been on my mind to write about for a while is Harry Potter. I realise that this is a childlike topic but bear with me.

I love the books, ever since I picked one up in the first school I was teaching at. I saw kids reading it and they were engrossed. For the last few, I did get them on the first day and I even queued at midnight for the very last one. Problem is, many people dislike them. Christians I know and love dislike them. I would dearly love to read them to my child but some people would be unhappy about that.

Are they unchristian? Ultimately they are a battle between good and evil and good wins out. The characters learn that the evil ways may sometimes prosper (quite realistic I think) but ultimately they are futile. Whilst there is no God figure in the books (no matter what some people say about Dumbledore, he is not a God) there is an ultimate victory.

Where we fall down though is that there is magic. Does the world of Harry Potter encourage people (young people of course) to dabble in the dark arts? Personally I don't think it does. How could it? The spells are not real. We cannot get wands, we cannot find the real platform 9 3/4 and we do not have a school like Hogwarts. Why then do some people get so stressed about it?

I don't know. I shall have to read them again to see if I missed anything ...

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Free Blogger Templates created by The Blog Templates