0

Sharing the gospel with family

Posted by Derrick on 18:58
This is something that I have had worries about for a long time. I am the only Christian in my family. Or at least I think I am. My family aren't heathens but they are definitely not Christians.

There are several problems that I have. Firstly I have family members who are constantly going 'Jesus' this and 'Christ' that. Really bugs me and Mrs. Christianman. Secondly when I am with them I find it harder to act in a Christian manner. Thirdly I'm scared about doing it, you know, sharing the gospel.

Found a post online which gave some advice which I will précis here.

Start with prayer. Pray before and pray after. Sometimes I forget to do this and it's like I'm deliberately leaving God out of it. Only He can ever convince someone. I need to remember this.

Of course it helps to have a good sound knowledge of the Gospel. This is difficult for some people. I'd say that it comes down to this: Christ died for our sins and he rose again from the dead to show us the way to heaven. This is summed up in 1 Corinthians 15 1-4

Thing is though, this doesn't make much sense sometimes. The concept of sin is a strange one. They've lived ok lives after all. Perhaps it's better to go with the four points. God loves us, we have all made mistakes, Christ died to pay the price for those mistakes so what are we gonna do about that? I tend to tell why I believe rather than anything else. Not very successful though.

So what about sharing then?

Well don't cram it down their throats. We have to be sensitive and realise that even Jesus had difficulties persuading his family. They never believed him and I wonder if that hurt. It's important to be loving. Sharing the gospel needs more than words sometimes and being rude just isn't good enough.

We also have to be prepared for failure. God may not have us in mind for evangelising our family. We need to trust Him and let Him lead. Remember that ultimately it's up to them how they respond to the gospel.

Finally we just have to relax and not worry. God is wonderful and He will give everyone an opportunity and even if we are that opportunity and we mess it up, God is bigger than us and He won't mess up.

One final word, here is something that tells us how we can be saved -

Romans 10:9-11
9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11 As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame. "


0 Comments

Post a Comment

Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive | Free Blogger Templates created by The Blog Templates